Friday, June 28, 2013

PUNK: Chaos to Couture

photo: metmuseum.org

This week, I'm living in New York City! I'm taking a precollege fashion journalism class at FIT. So far, it is incredible--I've learned a lot and had so much fun. Today was especially cool because our class took a field trip to the Met to see the PUNK: Chaos to Couture fashion exhibit. There was a ton of hype about this showcase, so I'd been dying to see it. It was even more amazing than I imagined it, as I'm finding most things in New York are.

The gorgeous and eccentric punk fashion collections spanned several rooms, each with a different theme. There was DIY hardware, DIY bricolage, DIY graffiti and agitprop, and DIY destroy. Some highlights included garbage bag dresses (chicer than you could imagine), safety-pin covered garments galore, and extravagant paint-splattered gowns. I highly recommend going to see it if you get the chance to come to the city before August 14th, when the exhibit closes.


This beautiful, poofy Alexander McQueen dress
was one of my absolute favorites.
 
Both of these cool graffiti looks were
designed by Vivienne Westwood.

This is one of my favorite looks. It captures the destroyed
punk vibe of the time, but it still radiates classic Chanel.

I can't wait to post some more outfit photos and tell you more about my time in NYC!

2 comments:

  1. Great post!!!
    Beautiful pictures!!!

    If you want, we can follow each other. Kisses
    http://fashionsecrets-oksana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much--I'll be posting more about NYC soon!

      Delete