I was requested several times to do a Q&A post,
so here it is! Thanks to all of the lovely bloggers
who asked these questions with a desire to get to
know me better! (Some of the questions have been
edited for clarity or length, but the original
thoughts are still there.)
I also tried to make this Q&A sort of interactive by asking all of you readers some questions too, so just reply in the comments to any or all of the questions shown in red!
1. What fashion trend from the past do you look back and laugh at? Gaucho pants! These were actually a big trend around the 1960’s (I obviously wasn’t alive back then), but they resurfaced around 2005, when I was in fourth grade. Everybody had to have them, including me, but looking back, they were so unflattering. If you don’t remember them, here is a pic:
Did you have any gaucho pants? What weird trend from the past did you rock?
2. What current trend do you think is overrated? Faux fur is reportedly very “in” for this season, but it is just something that I would never wear. I think it looks fine on some people, but it is a bit overrated for me personally.
3. What is one trend that you would like to see make a comeback? Hmm…this is a really hard one! I like high-waisted distressed shorts like these. They are really cool and simple to make. They have already made a huge comeback in my school and around me, but I haven’t really seen these featured in magazines or on too many celebrities yet.
4. What fashion item do you most want right now? I really want some cute printed jeans for fall. I am in the process of making some for a future DIY post, but I have been so busy with getting ready for back-to-school that they won’t be done for a while.
What do you want for the fall?
5. What is a fashion piece you hate to wear? I don’t like to wear heels because I am not very good at walking in them (I love wedges, though!). I also don’t like to wear tights just because they are so uncomfortable. And, I love rings but I don’t like to wear them because they always get in the way—I can never leave them on for an entire day!
6. If you got stranded on a desert island, what three fashion-related items would you bring and why? I would bring a cute bikini to go swimming in; a loose, button-down dress for style and convenience (I could unbutton it all the way and spread it out like a blanket if necessary); and some bright boat-shoes to complement the dress and protect my feet!
Shopping And My Style
1. What is your favorite designer clothing brand? For daytime, I love Kate Spade and Tory Burch. For gowns, I love Elie Saab.
2. What are your favorite places to shop? H&M and Forever 21 are my go-to stores. I also love J.Crew and Urban Outfitters, but both are a bit pricier.
Where do you do most of your shopping?
3. Do you have any shopping tips? Bring a fashionable friend or sister to give you honest advice. If you are going alone, take a picture of yourself in the fitting room when you try something on. Then look at the picture for a more objective view of the outfit to decide whether you really love it or not! Also try to buy things that will last—if that $5 top rips after one wear, it wasn't a good purchase. You can look at quality by investigating the garment for loose threads, hems that are coming undone, zippers or buttons that get stuck or are hard to use, excessive wrinkles when you scrunch it in your hand, a scratchy feel, or anything else that will make the item hard or uncomfortable to wear. Finally, when you like a piece of clothing, try to put together one or two outfits in your head with clothes that you already have. If you see a cute skirt but don’t have any tops to go with it, you probably won’t wear it.
Do you have any little-known shopping tips?
4. What kind of jeans do you prefer (skinny, bootcut, etc)? Skinny, for sure!
5. What is your favorite and least favorite shoe? My favorite types of shoes are a good pair of not-too-high wedges for spring/summer and a pair of flat brown riding boots for fall/winter. My least favorite shoe is a pair of flats that give me blisters or heels that are too high to walk comfortably in.
6. What do you prefer: stripes or florals? Why? I honestly love them both, so it changes all the time. I wore florals a ton this spring and summer, so I think I am going to be more into stripes for the fall.
7. Who is your style icon? I love Hailee Steinfeld, Blake Lively, and Elle Fanning.
Who’s your favorite style icon?
8. Many people seem to think places like Abercrombie, Hollister, and Aeropostale are bad places to shop because people who shop there have "no sense of style". What's your opinion? This is tricky—these are my own opinions, so please do not take personal offense. I wouldn’t say that those stores are “bad” places to shop, and I know that some people that shop in these places do have great senses of style. I think it is fine to mix pieces from all kinds of stores. I personally don’t really like that these stores are so branded with their signature moose and birds printed on everything, and I don’t like the look of these stores head to toe. But, if you mix a top from Hollister with a skirt from H&M, shoes from Steve Madden, and accessories from Forever 21, you will have a unique ensemble that doesn’t look like a “Hollister girl” outfit.
1. What is your dream job? I love fashion, but I would never want to be a designer or stylist. I definitely want to work at a magazine. I have always had a huge passion for magazines, ever since I was little. If I could incorporate fashion, writing, and magazines, that would be ideal. So, my dream job would be a fashion journalist and eventually editor at a fashion magazine. What would YOU love to do for a living? If you are in college, what is your major? If you are an adult, what is your career?
2. What’s your biggest accomplishment so far? I think that my blog is one of my biggest accomplishments. It was a big step for me to make my own blog with my own photos for the public to see, but I am so glad I did.
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I honestly want to travel as much as I possibly can. I am going to France and Germany next summer, which I am so excited about. In the future, I would also love to go to some tropical places like Fiji or Zealand because of their beauty and adventure, and I also really want to go to Milan for the great fashion.
Do you know of any cool places I should go to in France or Germany next summer?
4. What is your favorite TV show? I watch a lot of TV (too much, to be honest), so I am going to divide this into categories.
a. Comedies: Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, New Girl, Friends
b. Reality: Toddlers and Tiaras, Keeping Up With The Kardashians
c. Talent: Project Runway, America’s Next Top Model
d. Drama: Pretty Little Liars
Do you watch any of the above shows? Any amazing shows I am missing?
5. If you could only have one product to use on your hair (excluding shampoo/conditioner) what would it be? Assuming that dry shampoo doesn’t count either, I would say Shine Spray. I have this great shine spray from the brand “got2b” and it really makes my hair go from “blah” to silky.
1. When did you start blogging? I started blogging August 1st, 2011. I just recently had my 1-year blogging anniversary!
2. Why did you start blogging? I’d always loved looking at fashion and beauty gurus on YouTube. Then, I sort of discovered the blogging world through many of those gurus’ blogs. I was very interested in it, especially because it is a great way to become more interactive with the fashion industry. I decided to do a blog instead of YouTube, and I decided to focus on fashion rather than beauty simply because I know more about it (and I love shopping!).
3. How did you come up with the name of your blog? Actually, my older sister helped me come up with the name. She thought it would be cool to do a monthly “Fashion It List” where I would feature trends and styles I liked. Based on this, we decided to make the blog’s name “The Fashion It List.” Even though I changed my “Fashion It Lists” to seasonal posts rather than monthly posts, I still love the original idea and the thought behind it.
4. How different do you think your life would be if you weren’t a blogger? Honestly, I don’t know that it would be that different at this point. My friends and classmates don’t know about it, so nothing in my social life has really changed. If anything, I shop a lot more, and I think I have definitely become more fashion-forward and adventurous in my clothing. Hopefully, this blog will lead me to bigger opportunities, so that one day I can say that my life would have never been the same without it.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
5. What is your blogging pet peeve? It annoys me when there are those spam-preventers on the comment section of other people’s blogs. It just makes it so much more difficult to leave comments. Besides, Blogger already has great automatic spam detection without that extra feature. I say that unless you are having lots of trouble with spam, don’t do it!
What annoys you as a blogger?
6. What advice do you have for someone wanting to start a blog? Here is my advice!
a. To make it: I recommend using Blogger.
b. To design it: I think that in general, simpler is better, as you can keep the focus on your actual blog posts. Also make sure that your font is very readable--people don't want to try to decipher fancy, swirly writing.
c. To post on it: Do whatever inspires YOU. Don't try to write for somebody in particular; just write in your own voice and direct it to any audience that you think will read your blog. For a fashion blog, some ideas for posts are the following: outfit-of-the-day, celebrity outfit recreation for less, multiple ways to wear a certain garment, what you are loving in stores right now, how to transform clothes from season to season, DIY fashion projects, or whatever else you can think of. I think it works best to do a combination of photos and writing in each post. It is fine to use celebrity pics for some posts, but it is also good to try to use photos of yourself. Unless you have a tripod, though, do not try to take them of yourself by yourself. Instead, enlist a friend or parent to help. As for writing, I think it best to use proper grammar and spelling all the time. There is a spellcheck on Blogger when you create a post, so USE IT!
d. To gain a following: Make sure you add the gadget of Followers to your blog so you can track your following! To gain a following, stay true to who you are as a blogger. Visit other blogs and leave genuine comments and follow them--most people will follow you back, especially if they only have a few followers themselves. Eventually, you will work your way up to lots of followers. When this happens, you might get offers of people wanting to advertise or sponsor giveaways on your blog. Only agree to these after carefully learning about them (no scams!) and making sure they agree with your blog's aesthetic.
I hope this answered all of your questions! Please remember to answer the questions in red in the comments--I would love to hear your thoughts!