Monday, July 9, 2012

Glitter Polka Dots (Nail Tutorial)

This is a fun, glittery nail tutorial. Enjoy!


{The Polish}
Mint green: Love and Beauty in the shade Mint
Top/Base Coat: e.l.f. in the shade Clear
+
Loose glitter: JoAnn Craft Essentials Xtra Fine Glitter


You will also need something to make polka dots. You could use the tip of a bobby pin or any other round-headed object. I used a sewing pin and stuck the pointy side into a pencil eraser so that it would be easy to hold. See the images below of my version.

Now,
{The Process}
1. Apply base coat, then two coats of the mint color (or whatever color you decide to use). Let dry.

2. Pour some loose glitter onto a plate or bowl.

3. Dip your polka-dotter tool into the clear nail polish and quickly dot onto a nail. I did three to five dots on each nail, but you could do more if you use a smaller tool.

4. Before the polish dries, dip the nail into the glitter pile. Repeat for each nail.

5. Tap the nails so that the excess glitter comes off. Once the polish dries a bit more, you will probably have to use your finger to push the remaining glitter off around the dots.

6. Apply a top coat (or two).

7. Clean up time! A few tips for cleaning up spilled glitter:
-sweep as much as you can into a dust pan
-use a lint roller or masking tape to pick up the rest of the glitter
-if you have it on hand, play-dough also works great for picking up glitter

I hope you try this nail look because it is a lot of sparkly fun and looks even better in person!


16 comments:

  1. We just found your blog and absolutely love it! This nail tutorial is so cute and we can't wait to try it out.

    If you have time please check out our blog and Polyvore. Please follow and comment if you like our sites. It would mean so much to us. :)

    http://thirteenfashionblog.blogspot.com
    http://thirteenfashionblog.polyvore.com

    xoxo,
    Kendall & Tiana
    THIRTEEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...if you try it on your blog, be sure to leave a comment so I can check it out :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I love the results! Great how to.
    Would love you to check out my latest outfit post :)
    Have a fab weekend Hun xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--I am very happy with the results, too!

      Delete
  3. the nails are amaaaazing, love the glitter
    xx the cookies
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com
    share the feeling
    visit <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am a sucker for anything glittery :)

      Delete
  4. The nails are amazing! Love em I will def try them out!

    I invite you to check out my blog.
    -loyaltofashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--definitely try them; they are really easy!

      Delete
  5. Wow, it turned out amazingly! I love the look of glittery nails. This is a great post!
    -Angela, from the Lipstick Clique (thelipstickclique.blogspot.com) Come check out our blog if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love glittery nails too (and polka dots)!

      Delete
  6. Cute nailpolish :) You are really talented.

    Love, Anja
    ---------------
    http://theartoffashion-anja.blogspot.de
    Please stop by and follow my blog if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  7. I love your blog and I've added your button to my page...take a look at mine when you can :)

    http://tweeandcakes.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I will definitely check out yours, as well!

      Delete
  8. LOVE these! such a sweet look
    http://yuliconversations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete