Monday, June 25, 2012

13. Old Stripes Brought Back to Life






Top: my mom's closet (brand unknown)
Shorts: American Eagle
Sandals: Forever 21
Necklace: Charlotte Russe

Nails: OPI in the shade OPI on Collins Ave.
with silver Sharpie polka dots
and a Sally Hansen Crystal Strength Top Coat

Scouring through the stuffed boxes of old clothing in my mother's closet, she and I carefully decide what stays in her wardrobe. After trying on what seems like a thousand tees, suits, and tops, we cast away the not-so-liked remains into a bag labeled "Toss." Then, that bag gets tossed--right into my closet.
What looks outdated and ill-fitting on her is rejuvenated by me. Of course, there are some things that look good on no one; these get placed into my own stash of fabric and tees to revamp with DIY projects later. But, to my liking, many clothes do work for me. For instance, this white and blue striped tank (boxy and very 80's on my mom) looks stylish and fresh when paired with modern accessories like my necklace and sandals.
So, next time your mother, grandmother, sister, or even father (want to pull off some menswear trends, anyone?) is cleaning out the old closet and has some things to toss, ask if you can look through it. What was "out" ten years ago could come back in style any day!

Boxy, but still foxy ;)
With this faded tag, who knows where it's from?


xxx

14 comments:

  1. I love the necklace with the shirt!
    Hannah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute outfit, love your nails too! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--they are a little chipped, but I just had to show them :)

      Delete
  3. very cute blog - and I love your nails here!
    would you like to follower each other? : )

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute and comfy- adore your sandals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--it was really comfortable :)

      Delete
  5. i love finding cute pieces of clothes that would otherwise be thrown/given away by family or friends! can you do some diy posts soon? :)

    xo, Scarlett
    The Trendy Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too! And I will definitely work on doing some DIY posts soon :)

      Delete
  6. Love it! Stripes are always a favorite.

    xoxo,
    Kendall & Tiana
    THIRTEEN

    http://thirteenfashionblog.blogspot.com/
    http://thirteenfashionblog.polyvore.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--I am obsessed with stripes for the summer!

      Delete
  7. Such a good idea!

    Stripes are always a fav!

    x

    ReplyDelete