Monday, August 22, 2011

Blast from the Past: White Lace Dress


I am starting a new series on my blog called "Blast from the Past", where I will feature a trend from the late seventies with ways that it is (or isn't) something to be worn today. I purchased some Seventeen magazines from 1977 and 1978 off eBay and have scoured them for trends that have returned or stayed in style. So, without further ado, here is my first "Blast from the Past" post; enjoy!


These two pictures (left and above) are from the February 1978 issue of Seventeen. They show a long, airy, white dress with lace details.





photo from cheapchicas.com


photo credited to
bauergriffinonline.com



Taylor Swift flaunts her figure with a skinny belt and sheer quarter-length sleeves. Lauren Conrad wears her Marchesa dress with nude pumps and darker nails. Both of these modern dresses feature a shorter hemline and more shapely silhouette than the 1978 frock. However, the dated version does have one thing in common with both of these celebrities' picks-- they all show off their shoulders and chests with unlined lacy details.





If you liked those celeb looks and want one for yourself, you should check out these similar styles. The dress to the left provides a girly look with a touch of black, while the maxi on the right is a cool spin on the classic shape.
Both of these dresses are affordable at $24.80 from Forever 21. http://www.forever21.com/

2 comments:

  1. Omg love the last short one! Cute post!
    quick question, where do you get your images from cos I just started my blog and not sure if u can use the straight off google.
    thanks x
    madhatter-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and I got the first four pics from magazines and the internet, and I just cite where they are from like from the February 1978 issue of Seventeen or from the website I got the picture from. And the last two pictures are just from the forever21 website-- When I show clothes that are available to buy now, I just look directly on the store's website and make sure to tell where the clothes are from in my post. Hope that helped :)

    ReplyDelete